If you are betting on the horses, in casinos, on slot machines or scratch cards, the consequences of problem gambling can be huge, leading to financial ruin, broken relationships, losing your job and borrowing or stealing to pay back debts.
If you are concerned that you have a problem with gambling, then ask yourself these questions:
- Am I secretive about my gambling?
- Do I gamble even when I don’t have the money?
- Do I lie to my friends and family about where I have been?
- Have I ever borrowed or stolen money to gamble?
- Do I carry on gambling even when I lose a bet?
If you think you may have a problem then you may find it beneficial to speak to a therapist. Remember that the first step is always the hardest – if you know that you need to change your gambling habits then you are already heading in the right direction.